English as a Second Language (ESL) Daytime Coordinator (EDC)
The ESL Daytime Coordinator (EDC) plays a vital role in an effective Education program at El Sol. The overall focus of the EDC is the coordination of activities to assist those adults whose first or main language is not English to function in communities as employees, parents, and citizens in English. Experience indicates that successful ESL Coordinators display the following characteristics:
- A strong desire to help others achieve success
- A strong respect for volunteers
- A strong “spirit of volunteerism”
- The ability to work effectively with other people through forming collaborative alliances, partnerships and networking
The ENC’s job consists of various tasks and activities that include:
- Supervise volunteer teachers so they can attain an acceptable classroom management and keep administrative work in order.
- Plan, prepare and deliver lesson plans to a range of class levels and groups.
- Prepare tests, examination papers, and exercises for classes together with ESL teachers by level.
- Provide appropriate feedback to volunteer teachers and students on oral and written work.
- Devise, write and produce new materials, including audio and visual resources.
- Attend and contribute to training sessions.
- Participate and execute a marketing plan with activities considering advertisement of classes prior to start of each term.
- Recruit and train volunteers as required.
- Prepare information for inspection visits and other quality assurance exercises.
- Be able to replace an ESL volunteer teacher if necessary.
- Perform administrative tasks to maintain registration, attendance, grant related reports and materials as required.
- Keep and report data entry results for SERT’s system every term as required.
- Advertise classes and volunteer opportunities as needed.
- Train, schedule and supervise volunteer teachers.
- Communicate with volunteer teachers and volunteer teachers on student progress.
The ENC is charged with the responsibility of keeping the standards of the program and establishing and/or maintaining effective relationships with staff, volunteers and students.
The ENC is responsible for keeping the Associate Director informed on the progress of the program by:
- Reporting classes schedules, attendance and students’ performance results.
- Reply to the Associate Director on emails inquiring status of the program on a timely manner.
- Assess every registered student on their level and progress.
- Coordinate the graduation ceremony so that all needs in terms of scheduling, budget, student’s participation and community awareness are covered and reported to the Associate Director on a timely basis.
- Maintain all necessary data for successful grant reporting whenever is needed.
- Coordinate students’ participation status with the case manager and Associate Director not later than a week after registration process on a given term during the year is over in order to assure a clear understanding of how many students are attending classes from those that have subscribed El Sol agreement using WITS registration.
- An EDC must have completed basic volunteer tutor training and needs to possess a four-year degree or teacher certification.
- Be bilingual (Spanish/English).
- Be computer literate at user level (Microsoft Office) and know how to use emails and attachments.
- Be able to perform with limited supervision.
- Evaluate, select, and maintain an appropriate inventory of up-to-date textbooks, and other learning materials for students.
- Report program progress on a monthly and quarterly basis in formats provided on a timely manner.
- Recruit students for the program.
- Interview, screen, and orient prospective students and administer assessments.
- Recruit, interview, screen, orient, and train volunteer teachers.
- Select or assist in developing teaching aids and student supplies which are appropriate for the student’s needs.
- Help teachers and students in making student study assignments.
- May assume a supportive and mentoring role in students’ study activities.
- Monitor the registration, progress and evaluation of the student’s progress
- Maintain student records as required in the program
- Monitor and evaluate effectiveness of the ESL volunteer teachers.
- Develop and implement a process of activities to recognize achievements of students.
- Other that may be assigned
Schedule and Salary
Schedule: The coordinator is required to commit to a schedule for 9 hours a week:
Monday through Wednesday from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Interested candidates must send their resume including a detailed cover letter to email@example.com no later than November 15, 2016.
Childcare support for Plazas Comunitarias Program (CPC)
El Sol Jupiter’s Neighborhood Resource Center hosts a program called Plazas Comunitarias Program. The majority of students are parents that need childcare support while attending classes. The program will require childcare support 48 weeks a year. Background check will be required at El Sol’s expense for the suitable candidate.
The program needs a childcare support individual that will report directly to the Plazas Comunitarias Program Coordinator and indirectly to El Sol’s Associate Director.
- Experience attending kids needs in a friendly manner
- Experience working with diverse communities and constituents with a good understanding on proper cultural approach.
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Computer literate at user level.
- Maintain all children focused on adequate entertainment during Plazas Comunitarias classes hours.
- Ensure that all children from parents coming to Plazas Comunitarias classes are kept under a safe, healthy, clean and comfortable environment.
- Assist with both long and short range activities in accordance to children’s ages.
- Maintain daily open communication with parents.
- Report any suspected abuse to supervisor.
- Arrange a classroom environment to be healthy in accordance to the needs of children.
- Inspect and replace damaged or lost materials
- Keep all appropriate records such as attendance and time sheets.
- Maintain a clean and orderly environment for all children attending the center whose parents are in ESL classes
- Others as required.
Pay: $10 an hour for five hours per week
Work schedule: Thursday and Friday from 7:00PM to 9:00PM
All interested candidates, please submit a cover letter and resume to Dora Valdivia at firstname.lastname@example.org by August 22.
BASIC LEVEL SPANISH TEACHER FOR ENGLISH SPEAKERS (BL-ST)
“El Sol”, Jupiter’s Neighborhood Resource Center is in need of a basic level Spanish teacher that can motivate students of different languages to develop competencies, knowledge, and skills so they are able to communicate at their level. The designated person will be mainly responsible for teaching and supporting the basic Spanish level classes.
Basic Level Spanish Teacher Job Duties:
- To establish and implement a program curriculum by planning lessons that develop the skillset of students to communicate in Spanish at the basic level.
- To deliver high-quality, relevant, and engaging lessons for students.
- To support the overall progress of students.
- To facilitate and encourage a learning experience which provides students with the opportunity to achieve their individual potential.
- To contribute in recruiting and retaining students in the program.
- To maintain appropriate records and to provide relevant, accurate, and up-to-date information for El Sol’s SERTS system.
- To complete the relevant documentation to assist in the tracking of students.
- To set expectations for students in relation to standards of achievement and the quality of learning and teaching.
- To prioritize and manage time effectively.
- To follow El Sol’s policies and procedures.
- To maintain discipline and encourage good practices with regard to punctuality, behavior, and standards of work.
- To monitor and evaluate the progress of the students.
- To mark, grade, and give written/verbal and diagnostic feedback as required.
- To assess records and report on the attendance, progress, development, and attainment of students and to keep such records as required.
- To complete the relevant documentation to assist in the tracking of students.
- To take part in the staff development program by participating in arrangements for further training and professional development.
- To conduct registration for each term–three times a year–and to prepare end-of-term reports.
Basic Level Spanish Teacher Skills and Qualifications:
- Experience in teaching Spanish for at least 3 years
- Excellent communication skills
- Be computer-skilled at user level
The BL-ST is a part time position that considers a paid rate of $20.00 / hour for a total of 2.5 hours per week (2-hour session + 1/2 hour of class preparation) during 36 weeks.
Interested candidates must submit a cover letter and an updated resume to Dora Valdivia at email@example.com.
REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
El Sol is seeking consultants experienced in strategic planning to lead El Sol’s Board of Directors and staff through a long-term strategic visioning and planning process.
El Sol is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization located in Jupiter, Florida, whose mission is to improve the quality of life of all the residents of Northern Palm Beach County by providing services to those in need, especially day laborers and their families.
El Sol has been recognized nationally by the White House and internationally by the President of Guatemala, for leading the way in positive integration of day laborers and their families into the fabric of the local community.
El Sol is celebrating its 10th anniversary, and it is a suitable time in our organization’s development to engage in a comprehensive and participatory visioning and planning process for the future.
- Inquiry Period: August 10 – August 19, 2016
- Deadline for Submissions: Monday, August 22, 2016 (via e-mail)
- The final selection will be done by Board vote on September 29th, 2016
El Sol is seeking a consultant who will facilitate El Sol’s Strategic Planning Process. The consultant will be working primarily with El Sol’s Board of Directors, senior staff members, and with the Strategic Planning Committee, comprised of Board Members and key staff.
We are seeking specific deliverables including reaching consensus among the Board of Directors regarding the organization’s mission, vision, priorities, and strategic positioning. The end result should include a clear, easily consumed, strategic plan document that includes a board approved: Mission Statement, Vision Statement, Priority Goal Areas and Logic Model, Work Plan (near term and long-term), and Evaluation methodology.
The consultant will review and analyze documents prior to engagement including:
- Existing Strategic Plan 2015-2020
- Annual Survey results summarizing key stakeholder’s perception of the role of El Sol, and value of our programs
- Quarterly Reports with program statistics to evaluate impact
We are looking for a consultant who will help us design and implement the planning process over the next few months (September 2016 – March 2017) and will then facilitate on-going evaluation/check-point meetings to measure our progress over the next 3-5 years.
We prefer consultants that are local and familiar with Northern Palm Beach County.
Interested parties should submit a proposal by August 22, 2016 to:
Jocelyn Skolnik, Executive Director at Jocelyn@friendsofelsol.org