El Sol School for Parents Teacher
This is an FLSA Classified Exempt Position. This is a seasonal, part-time position.
The teacher is required to teach children who primarily speak English, with a few who do not and whose primary language is Spanish. The curriculum follows the one their parents are learning through activities that are fun and educational. They are required to prepare lessons and teach them under the supervision of the Health Coordinator. The teacher is required to commit to a schedule for 4.5 hours a week on Saturday 7:30 AM to 12:00 PM with time for planning.
- Prepare materials and activities for the children, following the existing curriculum (15%)
- Create and maintain a positive environment that is engaging, fun, welcoming and conducive to learning. (25%)
- Identify the individual and group requirements of the children and enhance activities accordingly, with approval from the Health Coordinator. (10%)
- Coordinates volunteers that assist in the classroom. (10%)
- Ensure that the students maintain good behavior while in Kidz Exploration premises. (10%)
- Keep track of attendance and success stories. (10%)
- Collaborates with other teachers and Health Coordinator to update the study programs and curriculum. (5%)
- Assist with the identification of children who may need referrals to services and report needs to the Health Coordinator to ensure children are connected and can access services. (5%)
- Attends in-service training and team meetings as required. (5%)
- Assists with administrative tasks such as registration, tracking attendance, and creating reports as needed. (5%)
Qualifications and Skills:
- Experience and proven background in teaching ESL classes is a must.
- Recommended bilingual (English-Spanish)
- Ability to relate and work well with children
- Teaching Certificate preferred
This position will report directly to the Health Coordinator. The fall semester for School for Parents is from August 12 – November 4th.
Applicants can submit their resume and letter of interest to Betzy at email@example.com
El Sol Plazas Comunitarias Teacher
This is an FLSA Classified Exempt Position. The Plazas Comunitarias Teacher plays a vital role in an effective Education program at El Sol and reports to the Plazas Comunitarias Coordinator. The overall focus of the Plazas Comunitarias Teacher is coordination of activities to assist those adults whose first language is Spanish who have not attended or completed formal education in their home country. The program is divided in three levels: Spanish literacy, Elementary, and High School studies. Promoted students are eligible to obtain official certificates from the Mexican Department of Education. The teacher is required to commit to a schedule for 6 hours a week on Thursdays and Fridays from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM.
1. Prepare assignments for the students in coordination with the Plazas Comunitarias Coordinator, and implement the correct lesson plans by module in accordance to the INEA plan, testing, and certification. (15%)
2. Identify the individual and group requirements of the students and help them with the assignments accordingly. Create and maintain an instructional climate that is conducive to learning. (10%)
3. Work with Supervisor to track of attendance in SERTS computer systems, and maintain paper attendance to submit to Supervisor weekly for INEA requirements. Report to Supervisor the students who are frequently absent. (15%)
4. Ensure that the students maintain discipline while in El Sol premises. Report any disciplinary issues to Supervisor as needed. (10%)
5. Perform pre and post-tests as required by funding source. (10%)
6. Maintain a record of the student’s information and performance. Communicate with Supervisor any students who are not meeting expectation (10%)
7. Attend team meetings, in-service trainings or other team meetings called by Supervisor or Chief Program Officer. (5%)
8. Be creative with program development. Works with Supervisor to prepare for orientation/registration process and graduation ceremony at the beginning and end of each term. (10%)
9. Attends Registration one week prior to class starting to enroll students into program and assist with orientation. Assist Supervisor with entering students into SERTS program. (10%)
10. Prepares Graduation documents for students and distributes certificates/awards at Graduation Ceremony at the end of semester (5%).
Qualifications and Skills:
· The Plazas Teacher needs to possess a four-year degree or teacher certification.
· Be fluent in Spanish.
· Computer literate at user level (Microsoft Office) and the Mexican Plazas Comunitarias website, and know how to use emails and attachments
· Be independent, able to perform with limited supervision
· Be creative, innovative and capable of motivating students while embracing cultural diversity
· This position reports directly to the Plazas Comunitarias Coordinator.
Nighttime Volunteer /Internship Opportunities:
Plazas Comunitarias (Spanish Literacy) Volunteer/Student Intern Nighttime: Assists the Spanish speaking teacher who offers literacy classes to native Spanish speakers who cannot read or write in Spanish. Curriculum is provided by the Government of Mexico. Must be bilingual (or a native Spanish speaker who is not fluent in English). Assist Teacher to keeps statistics on attendance, testing, and promotions. The position is on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:30PM to 9:00PM.
ESL Teaching Assistant Volunteer/Student Intern Nighttime: Classes take place in the evenings. Helps teacher and assists in teaching English to speakers of other languages while following a prescribed curriculum. Assists Nighttime teacher to ensure that students are moving through the levels of understanding and proficiency. The position is on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesdays from 6:30PM to 9:00PM. Assist Teacher to keeps statistics on attendance, testing, and promotions.
Computer Lab Volunteer/Student Intern Nighttime: Assist with computer literacy skills, resume creation and job searching online, internet navigation, e-mailing and Microsoft office skills. Assist the Computer Lab Coordinator with teaching the computer class and the safety/security of the computer lab during evening hours when classes are delivered. Assist Teacher to keeps statistics on attendance, testing, and promotions. The position is on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:30PM to 9:00PM.
Welcome Desk Data Entry Assistant Volunteer/Student Intern Nighttime: Assists Nighttime Coordinator to greet clients and potential new students as they enter the building. Assists with registration week, the first week of nighttime classes and registration of the Nighttime Education program. Answers questions clients may have, provides referrals to other staff within EL Sol. Assists Nighttime Coordinator with entering new registrants into data base, entering attendance of nighttime classes, and assisting with follow up phone calls to promote the Nighttime attendance. The position is on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesdays, Thursdays or Fridays from 6:30PM to 9:00PM.
Childcare Volunteer/Student Intern Nighttime: Assist in the care of children from the parents of the ESL Classes and also the Sewing Group at El Sol. Monitors children of the parents who are attending the nighttime classes. Report the hours worked and the number of children cared for. Assist teacher and be creative with program development. Must have previous experience working with Children. Background check required. Schedule to be determined. Needs are: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesdays, Thursday and Fridays from 6:30PM to 9:00PM.
Volunteers are an integral part of our community. Please consider helping us in our mission to improve the lives of Northern Palm Beach County residents by providing services to those in need. For more information, email our volunteer coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org