ESL NIGHTTIME COORDINATOR (ENC)
The ESL Nighttime Coordinator (ENC) plays a vital role in an effective Education program at El Sol. The overall focus of the ENC is the coordination of activities to assist those adults whose first or main language is not English to function in communities as employees, parents, and citizens in English. Experience indicates that successful ESL Coordinators display the following characteristics:
1. A strong desire to help others achieve success
2. A strong respect for volunteers
3. A strong “spirit of volunteerism”
4. The ability to work effectively with other people through forming collaborative alliances, partnerships and networking
The ENC’s job consists of various tasks and activities that include:
1. Supervise teachers and teacher volunteers so they can attain an acceptable classroom management and keep administrative work in order.
2. Plan, prepare and deliver lesson plans to a range of class levels and groups.
3. Prepare tests, examination papers, and exercises for classes together with ESL teachers by level.
4. Provide appropriate feedback to teachers and students on oral and written work.
5. Devise, write and produce new materials, including audio and visual resources.
6. Attend and contribute to training sessions.
7. Participate and execute a marketing plan with activities considering advertisement of classes prior to start of each term.
8. Recruit and train volunteers as required.
9. Prepare information for inspection visits and other quality assurance exercises.
10. Be able to replace an ESL teacher if necessary.
11. Perform administrative tasks to maintain registration, attendance, grant related reports and materials as required.
12. Keep and report data entry results for SERT’s system every term as required.
13. Advertise classes and volunteer opportunities as needed.
14. Train, schedule and supervise volunteer teachers.
15. Communicate with teachers and volunteer teachers on student progress.
The ENC is charged with the responsibility of keeping the standards of the program and establishing and/or maintaining effective relationships with staff, volunteers and students.
The ENC is responsible for keeping the Associate Director informed on the progress of the program by:
• Reporting classes schedules, attendance and students’ performance results
• Reply to the Associate Director on emails inquiring status of the program
• Assess every registered student on their level and progress
• Coordinate the graduation ceremony together with other program coordinators so that all needs in terms of scheduling, budget, student’s participation and community awareness are covered and reported to the Associate Director on a timely basis.
1. An ENC must have completed basic volunteer tutor training and needs to possess a four-year degree or teacher certification.
2. Be bilingual (Spanish/English).
3. Be computer literate at user level (Microsoft Office) and know how to use emails and attachments.
4. Be able to perform tasks with limited supervision.
5.-Be able to work in a diverse environment.
1. Evaluate, select, and maintain an appropriate inventory of up-to-date textbooks, and other learning materials for students.
2. Report program progress on a monthly and quarterly basis in formats provided on a timely manner.
3. Recruit students for the program.
4. Interview, screen, and orient prospective students and administer assessments.
5. Recruit, interview, screen, orient, and train volunteer teachers.
6. Select or assist in developing teaching aids and student supplies which are appropriate for the student’s needs.
7. Help teachers and students in making student study assignments.
8. May assume a supportive and mentoring role in students’ study activities.
9. Monitor the registration, progress and evaluation of the student’s progress
10. Maintain student records as required in the program
11. Monitor and evaluate effectiveness of the ESL volunteer teachers.
12. Develop and implement a process of activities to recognize achievements of students .
13. Other that may be assigned
Schedule and Salary
Schedule: The coordinator is required to commit to a schedule for 9 hours a week:
Monday through Wednesday from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Salary: $20.00 per hour
Accepting Resumes & Cover letters:
Training session for Selected Coordinator:
May 12- 29, 2015
June 1-5 2015
June 8-26, 2015
August 31, 2015
Contact information: Dora Valdivia / Associate Director
NIGHTTIME ESL TEACHER (2 listings)
Nighttime ESL Teacher (ESL-DT) is required to teach the lower levels of students whose first language is not English and to advance their English language skills so that they can be able to communicate at work and integrate themselves into the community at large. He/ she is required to prepare and deliver lessons and teach them under the supervision of the ESL nighttime Coordinator.
El Sol seeks to cover 2 positions as ESL teachers for Basic and Intermediate levels. Experience and proven background in teaching ESL classes is a must. Both teachers will need to be bilingual (English-Spanish) and be able to work in a diverse environment.
ESL Daytime Teacher Duties and Responsibilities
1. Prepare study material and assignments for the students in coordination with the ESL Daytime Coordinator
2. Identify the individual and group requirements of the students and help them with the assignments accordingly.
3. Ensure that the students maintain discipline while in El Sol premises.
4. Assess the student’s knowledge by taking regular evaluation and assessments as per scheduled.
5. Assess student’s performance and keeps track of attendance.
6. Maintain a record of the student’s information and performance.
7. Attend team meetings conducted for discussing the students’ study requirements.
8. Collaborates with other teachers and ESL Daytime Coordinator to design the study programs and curriculum.
9. Advise the students on completing the assignments.
10. Create and maintain an instructional climate that is conducive to learning.
11. Assist with the identification of less literate students to refer them to the ESL daytime Coordinator using appropriate assessment instruments so that they are connected to the Plazas Comunitarias program in El Sol.
12. Plan and implement ESL instruction based on diagnosed needs of the class level.
13. Attends in-service training when available and required by the ESL daytime Coordinator.
14. Keeps all administrative documents in place so that SERT’s system can keep track of registration, attendance and progress results.
15. Works with ESL daytime coordinator to prepare for registration process and graduation ceremony at the beginning and end of each term.
16. Participate in each graduation ceremony with his/her students during the event and during its preparation.
17. Other functions that may be assigned as required.
The position requires 7.5 hours per week during 36 weeks a year from 6:30 a.m. to 9:00PM on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
Payment per hour: $ 20.00 per hour
Contact information: Email your Resume and Cover not later than May 22, 2015 to
Interviews will be held from May 25 -29, 2015
CHILDCARE SUPPORT TO SEWING PROGRAM(CSP)
The Childcare Support Worker (CSP) is responsible for providing a safe and developmentally appropriate daycare program for the children of El Sol attending the sewing program in the center in compliance of relevant legislation, policies and procedures. The position will report to the Sewing Program Coordinator and the Associate Director.
The CSP will be responsible for planning and implementing a program to care for young children of different ages. He / she must ensure the development and safety of these children in accordance with legislation and policies. The CSP will be respectful of children and parents, and ensure that equipment and facilities are clean, safe and well maintained. Failure to provide adequate services may place children at risk.
1. Develop and implement a program for young children
• Plan and implement activities to meet the physical, emotional, intellectual and social needs of the children in the program
• Provide adequate equipment and activities
• Ensure equipment and the facility are clean, well maintained and safe at all times
• Provide weekly and monthly schedules of activities
• Develop culturally appropriate programs and activities
• Develop activities that introduce math and literacy concepts
• Be familiar with emergency procedures
2. Supervise children in the designated area
• Ensure children are supervised at all times
• Provide various experiences and activities for children including songs, games and story telling
• Build children’s esteem
• Establish routines and provide positive guidance
• Provide a safe and secure environment for children to feel comfortable
• Implement positive discipline when required
• Clearly and effectively communicate in a manner that children understand
3. Maintain program administration
• Keep parents informed of program expectations and activities as required by parents, program coordinator and supervisor.
• Develop a four-day activity plan with children
• Maintain a binder with children’s attendance to specify how many were in on a given date and their ages.
4. Perform other related duties
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The incumbent must have proficient knowledge in the following areas:
• Child development practices of safe and appropriate activities for children
• Understanding of relevant legislation, policies and procedures to ensure that children are supervised and safe at all times
• An understanding of a diverse cultural environment
The incumbent must demonstrate the following skills:
• Team building skills
• Supervisory skills
• Analytical and problem solving skills
• Decision making skills
• Effective verbal and listening communications skills
• Stress management skills
• Time management skills
The incumbent should demonstrate the following personal attributes:
• Be respectful
• Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
• Be flexible
• Demonstrate sound work ethics
• Be consistent and fair
• Be compassionate and understanding
• Be able to build esteem while ensuring a safe and secure environment
Caring for children can be physically demanding. The CSP may be lifting and carrying children and equipment, and may spend time sitting on the floor or child sized furniture.
The CSP will be expected to clean and maintain equipment and facility with children. He/she may come in contact with children who are ill and/or contagious, and must take precautions to ensure the health and safety of all children, parents, staff and themselves.
The CSP will be working in a busy and occasionally noisy environment. There may be a number of activities and situations happening at once, and the CSP will have to supervise all children at all times.
Caring for children can be stressful. The CSP must ensure that children are supervised at all times, and that children are involved in safe and appropriate activities. There may be a number of situations happening at once, and the CSP must be prepared to handle accidents and emergencies at any time.
Schedule: Mondays through Thursdays from 5:00PM to 7:00PM
Salary: $10.00 per hour
All interested candidates are required to send an email to email@example.com with her/his Resume and Cover letter not later than May 22, 2015