El Sol, “the sun” in Spanish, honors the light shone on day-labor workers by Sol Silverman, the late community leader who helped establish El Sol in 2005.
The mission of El Sol is to connect workers with employers and homeowners needing day labor, and to promote strong, diverse communities by providing:
El Sol’s vision is for a premier 501(c) nonprofit day-labor center providing skilled, dependable workers to employers. We are also committed to promoting strong economically and ethnically diverse communities in which all people can achieve their highest potential.
El Sol seeks to improve the quality of life for all residents of the Town of Jupiter through:
- Organizing and supervising Jupiter’s day-labor hiring in a controlled and sanitary atmosphere;
- Educating Jupiter’s day-laborers and contractors about their rights and responsibilities;
- Assisting Jupiter’s immigrant population to become an active and integrated part of the larger Jupiter community;
- Building bridges and communication among the different ethnic, cultural and religious groups in Jupiter;
- Providing occupational training, language and literacy instruction, counseling, health education, legal and other services to individuals in need.